Staff Highlights – Spring 2019
To support the continued growth of our practice, we are pleased to announce the following additions to our professional staff:
- Kristian Barr, CPA, MSA joins our Akron office as senior manager in audit. A Kent State University alumnus, Kristian spent the first 13 years of his accounting career at a large regional firm where he provided strategic planning services to national and international middle market companies in the manufacturing, distribution, healthcare and services industries. Prior to BMF, Kristian served as the Corporate Controller for Atlantic Tool & Die where he realized that public accounting is where his skills and passion best fit. We’re glad you did!
- Christopher Johnson, CPA joins our Akron office as a senior accountant in audit. Originally from Miamisburg, OH, Chris graduated from Wright State University where he was a member of Beta Alpha Psi. He began his career at a regional public accounting firm in the Dayton area before becoming an Akronite. Welcome to the Rubber Capital!
- Samuel Covert joins our Cleveland office as a senior accountant in audit. A graduate of Ohio University, Sam started his career at a Big 4 firm, and most recently a regional public accounting firm working with various clients in manufacturing, nonprofit and healthcare, in addition to employee benefit plans.
- Kelly Harrington joins our Akron office as a staff accountant in audit. Kelly interned with our audit team and participated in our 2017 Summer Leadership Experience. She graduated from Loyola University Maryland where she was an Outdoor Adventure Trip Leader. In addition to interning with us, she’s completed accounting internships with Laszeray Technology and ZOOK Enterprises.
- Kevin Jackson earned his Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification, which validates the ability to install, configure, operate and troubleshoot a small to medium-size enterprise branch network.
- Laura Lechko joins our Akron office as a senior accountant in tax. A graduate of Baldwin Wallace University, Laura spent much of her career with a local firm in Beachwood. Her expertise is complex 1040s for high net worth individuals, as well as C-corps and S-corps. Laura is known as a team player, always willing to help where needed.
- Catherine Begley joins our Akron office as a staff accountant in audit. Originally from Oberlin, she recently graduated from Northeastern University in Boston and is excited to be back in Northeast Ohio!
- Clint Meadows joins our Akron office as a staff accountant in audit. Clint spent two years at Grant Thornton in the audit department, then shifted to consulting with large, global clients. He received his bachelor’s degree in business administration from Kent State University and was a member and treasurer of his Beta Alpha Psi
- Alexandra Lynch joins our Akron office as a senior accountant in audit. An Erie, PA native, Ali graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and spent time working at a local CPA firm in Erie. After moving to Lakewood, she spent two years at a regional firm in Independence, OH.
We’re also excited for these significant community accomplishments:
- Joe Blaha has been re-elected as treasurer for Northeast Ohio Region of the Sports Car Club of America.
- Jim Bowen was named Executive Board Chair for St. Vincent-St. Mary High School.
- Samuel Covert was named Chairman of the Scholarship Committee for Beta Kappa Housing Company which awards $10,000 in scholarships annually to students at Ohio University.
- Keith Libman was appointed to serve on The Cuyahoga County Audit Committee, nominated by County Executive Armond Budish.
- Caitlin Lucas was awarded the Above and Beyond award by Project Learn.
- Matt Mallinak was appointed to the board of directors of Keep Ohio Beautiful.
- Jennifer Martin was selected for the Torchbearers Akron Class of 2019.
- Jim Merklin participated in a panel discussion for Insight Akron, and presented on the topic of Nonprofits: Hiring a New Executive Director for Diversity on Board.
- Cindy Mitchell presented at The University of Akron’s National Tax Conference; and presented to The Davey Tree Expert Company for their annual 401(k) day.
- Stephanie Smith was named an Ambassador for the Tallmadge Chamber of Commerce.
22 members of our staff proudly took the plunge at the 16th Annual Portage Lakes Polar Bear Club in support of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank‘s Harvest for Hunger campaign! A big shout out to our new interns who participated this year – literally “jumping in” with both feet first! This event is just a small part of our 2019 Harvest For Hunger campaign that supports both Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank and Greater Cleveland Food Bank. Stay tuned for more fun events and activities to support these wonderful organizations! Check out our pictures on Facebook.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news and information delivered to your inbox.