Melissa G. Dunham
CPA, MTax, MBA
Industry & Service Expertise
Melissa serves a variety of clients in diverse industries, including manufacturing and distribution, service and investment companies. She works closely with her clients to develop tax planning strategies, help identify areas of improvement and perform research projects. She is a proactive business advisor to her clients, bringing value to the relationship beyond just compliance services, working side by side in achieving their goals.
Focusing on the firm’s core tax practice, Melissa specializes in corporate tax returns including C corporations, S corporations, partnerships and LLCs. In addition to corporate tax planning, she provides tax compliance and planning services for closely-held businesses and their owners.
Melissa participates in a variety of firm committees, charitable campaigns and community activities. As a member of the firm’s tax committee and BMF University (the committee responsible for the ongoing education and development of its professional staff), Melissa acts and as an internal advocate for staff and clients on education, advisory and best practices.
Melissa’s primary responsibilities include coordinating all aspects of the tax engagements with the client and partners. She works closely with staff in the planning, executing, supervising and reviewing engagements. In 2019, Melissa was recognized as a Woman of Professional Excellence and received the coveted 30 For the Future Award, presented by the Greater Akron Chamber Young Professionals Network.
- Business Tax Compliance
- Family-Owned Businesses
- Individual & Wealth Preservation
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Retail & Consumer Products
- State & Local Tax Services
- Bachelor of Science in accounting and business administration, Westminster College
- Master of Business Administration, Kent State University
- Master of Tax, The University of Akron
- Certified Public Accountant
Professional and Civic Memberships and Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), member
- Community Support Services, board treasurer and finance committee chair
- Lake Girl Scouts Service Unit, treasurer
- Akron Tax Club, member
- Leadership Akron/Women’s Network Community Leadership Institute, Class 3
Awards and Accolades
- 2019 Woman of Professional Excellence, Women’s Network
- 2019 30 For the Future Award Recipient, Greater Akron Chamber/Young Professionals Network
In December, the Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Tax Relief Act of 2020 (Relief Act) modified the Employee Retention Credit (ERC) and extended the period to the first and second quarter of 2021. Then in the American Rescue Plan Act. Read More >>
Our previous advisors touched on additional clarifications and how to claim the Employee Retention Credit (ERC). With the recent American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA), the ERC has been extended and additional key changes made. The modified ERC,. Read More >>
The Employee Retention Credit (ERC) and Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) were created in the CARES Act under the COVID-19 relief program. Originally, they were separate programs and an employer was only allowed to participate in one program. In December,. Read More >>