Melissa G. Dunham
CPA, MTax, MBA
Industry & Service Expertise
Melissa serves a variety of clients in diverse industries, including manufacturing and distribution, service and investment companies. She works closely with her clients to develop tax planning strategies, help identify areas of improvement and perform research projects. She is a proactive business advisor to her clients, bringing value to the relationship beyond just compliance services, working side by side in achieving their goals.
Focusing on the firm’s core tax practice, Melissa specializes in corporate tax returns including C corporations, S corporations, partnerships and LLCs. In addition to corporate tax planning, she provides tax compliance and planning services for closely-held businesses and their owners.
Melissa participates in a variety of firm committees, charitable campaigns and community activities. As a member of the firm’s tax committee and BMF University (the committee responsible for the ongoing education and development of its professional staff), Melissa acts and as an internal advocate for staff and clients on education, advisory and best practices.
Melissa’s primary responsibilities include coordinating all aspects of the tax engagements with the client and partners. She works closely with staff in the planning, executing, supervising and reviewing engagements. In 2019, Melissa was recognized as a Woman of Professional Excellence and received the coveted 30 For the Future Award, presented by the Greater Akron Chamber Young Professionals Network.
- Business Tax Compliance
- Family-Owned Businesses
- Individual & Wealth Preservation
- Manufacturing & Distribution
- Retail & Consumer Products
- State & Local Tax Services
- Bachelor of Science in accounting and business administration, Westminster College
- Master of Business Administration, Kent State University
- Master of Tax, The University of Akron
- Certified Public Accountant
Professional and Civic Memberships and Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), member
- Community Support Services, board treasurer and finance committee chair
- Lake Girl Scouts Service Unit, treasurer
- Akron Tax Club, member
- Leadership Akron/Women’s Network Community Leadership Institute, Class 3
Awards and Accolades
- 2019 Woman of Professional Excellence, Women’s Network
- 2019 30 For the Future Award Recipient, Greater Akron Chamber/Young Professionals Network
Employee Retention Credit: Calculations, Wages, PPP Forgiveness and More – Guidance for Q3 and Beyond
The IRS released Notice 2021-49 on August 4, which amplifies and clarifies guidance from the two previous Employee Retention Credit (ERC) Notices (see here, and here) and provides additional guidance on the American Rescue Plan (ARP) extension of the. Read More >>
The Employee Retention Credit (ERC) under the March 2020 CARES Act encourages businesses to keep employees on their payroll. With this credit now extended through the end of 2021, the tax credit is 70% of up to $10,000 in. Read More >>
The Taxpayer Certainty and Disaster Relief Act of 2020 increased the business meal deduction for food or beverages provided by a restaurant to 100% for years 2021 and 2022. But there was some confusion surrounding what a restaurant is. Read More >>