Employee Benefit Plans
Uncompromising Quality, Timely Communication
With changing rules and regulations from the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor, auditing retirement plans is a complex and industry-specific task that requires experience and knowledge from seasoned professionals. From comprehensive audit, tax, and advisory to consulting services across the entire ERISA spectrum, we deliver uncompromising assurance through our knowledgeable specialists and industry leadership.
- Audits of all types of plans including defined contribution (including ESOPs), defined benefit and health and welfare plans (single- and multi-employer plans), including a significant number of plans for Fortune 500 companies
- ERISA Consulting
- Outsourcing services for preparation of plan financial statements and Forms 5500/990
- Review of internal control systems
- Compliance/discrimination testing
- Investment fiduciary selection process assistance
- Mock IRS/DOL audits
- AICPA Service Organization Control (SOC) Reports (Formerly SAS 70)
- Client representation in regulatory examinations
- SEC Form 11-K Plan Filing
- Compensation and Benefits
Our commitment to maintaining high quality and technical expertise is evidenced by our training and supervision of staff, our demonstrated continuity of staff on plan audit engagements, the high level of our participation (as both participants and speakers) in national and state conferences, and the positive marks of our Peer Review and PCAOB inspection results.
We are committed to providing the best quality service supported by industry experience and knowledge., partner and practice leader with more than 30 years of experience, has been highly involved in the industry through various roles, including:
- Past member, Executive Committee of the AICPA’s Employee Benefit Plans Audit Quality Center, AICPA Employee Benefit Plans Expert Panel, and AICPA 403(b) Plan Task Force
- Member, a frequent speaker and past Conference Chair, Ohio Society of CPAs and American Institute of CPAs’ Employee Benefit Plan Conference Planning Committees (Washington, DC)
James Merklin is also a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF), strengthening our team’s ability to perform the procedures necessary under Statement of Auditing Standards No. 99, Consideration of Fraud in a Financial Statement Audit.
We understand the fiduciary responsibilities and risks that plan sponsors face and provide plan audits in accordance with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), advising on regulatory and reporting requirements.
We work with clients of all sizes across all industries, from small businesses requiring first-year audits, to multi-employer plans, with varying funding arrangements.
How we can help
- 401(k) plans
- Defined benefit plans
- Employee stock ownership plans
- 403(b) plans
- Profit sharing plans