Robert M. Burak
Having dedicated his entire career to public accounting, Bob Burak is an accomplished tax partner with experience in all facets of running a tax practice, including managing and mentoring professional teams, serving a diverse middle-market and Fortune 1000 client base.
For most of his career, Bob has maintained a middle-market focus working closely with all types of entities including pass-through, C corporations and private equity groups. His wide range of compliance and advisory services experience includes various transactional advisory services with respect to mergers and acquisitions, assistance with numerous accounting method issues ranging from inventory matters to timing of accrual and prepaid deductions, etc., and international tax consulting services ranging from assisting clients in establishing foreign operations through transfer pricing matters and the repatriation of earnings to assisting in international restructuring and mobile income planning to reduce clients’ worldwide effective tax rates.
Before joining BMF in December 2010, Bob served 19 years as Cleveland tax practice leader and partner for Grant Thornton, LLP where he provided tax and advisory services to a diversified domestic and international client base. He was fully responsible for managing the office’s tax practice covering northern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, West Virginia and western New York.
- Bachelor of Science in business administration with a concentration in accounting, John Carroll University, University Heights, Ohio
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Professional and Civic Memberships
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), member
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), member
- Tax Club of Cleveland, member
- John Carroll University, Accounting Advisory Board
- Alzheimer’s Association, board of directors
- Acacia Country Club, board of directors
- Willoughby-Eastlake Schools Foundation, board of directors
- Cuyahoga County United Way, Funds Allocation Committee, member
On March 27, 2020, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed House Bill 197 into law, which includes a provision that clarifies the treatment of municipal income tax withholdings while employees are working from home rather than their principal place of. Read More >>
Ohio Senate Bill 26 Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed Ohio Senate Bill 26 into law, which reflects several noteworthy tax changes. Repeals the lawyer and lobbyist exemption from claiming the business income deduction and preferential 3% tax rate. As. Read More >>
As we noted in our March Tax Reform Series #5 Advisor, the TCJA amendment caused significant confusion regarding the deductibility of meals that occurred before, after or during the entertainment. IRS Notice 2018-76 was issued to provide transitional guidance. Read More >>